- Ongoing counsel for a Canadian asset finance group of companies, including their corporate structuring and finance, securitizations, acquisitions and financings
- Canadian counsel to a European multi-national corporation in their US$225,000,000 acquisition of the shares of a Canadian network management company and its US subsidiary
- Lead counsel for a Canadian based multi-national corporation in the issue of US$300,000,000 of Canadian originated preferred securities to institutional and private purchasers in the United States
- Lead counsel for an American “big box” retailer for their investment in a Canadian “big box” retailer
- Lead counsel for an American software company in its corporate reorganization in Canada and the United States
- Lead counsel for a Canadian mining corporation in the issue of US$468,000,000 of shares in Canada and the United States, the largest equity offering of its kind in Canada at the time
- Lead counsel for a Canadian mining corporation in the issue of US$300,000,000 of debt securities and US$230,000,000 of convertible debt securities
- Lead counsel for a Canadian based multi-national corporation in the establishment of a US$750,000,000 standby credit facility with a syndicate of Canadian and foreign banks
- Lead counsel for Canadian corporations in the establishment of trading agreements for derivative transactions with Canadian and foreign trading partners
William Hartley is an associate counsel at EKB.
A solicitor with considerable experience, Bill represents domestic and multi-national corporations in Canada. While his principal focus is on representing corporations in acquisitions, dispositions and financings, his practice covers a broad range of matters, including mergers, stock and asset acquisitions and divestitures, joint ventures and other significant corporate transactions, as well as general corporate advisory work for both mature and start-up companies.
Bill has also represented commercial banks, other institutional lenders and corporate borrowers in a wide range of financing transactions such as syndicated financings, corporate restructuring, debt securities, loans and hedging products.
Bill joined EKB in 1987, was a partner from 1990 to 2014 and is now Associate Counsel with the firm. He served as the managing partner of the firm for many years.
* Practicing through a Professional Law Corporation
- LLB, University of British Columbia (1982)
- British Columbia (1983)
Firm News About William
Best Lawyers Awards – EKB Lawyers Recognized in the 2024 Edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada
Best Lawyers in Canada 2021 Recognizes EKB Lawyers for Their Industry Knowledge and Legal Skill
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognizes EKB Lawyers for Their Industry Knowledge & Legal Expertise
EKB Lawyers Recognized in Best Lawyers and Who’s Who Legal Canada for Their Expertise
EKB Continues Support of BC Arthritis Society
Best Lawyers Lists Six From EKB in 11th Canada Edition
- Martindale-Hubbell BV Rating
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada for work in Mergers and Acquisitions Law since 2016
- Former Member of the National Board of Directors of The Arthritis Society
- Former Chair of the BC Division of The Arthritis Society