- Bachelor of Commerce, University of British Columbia (1983)
- LLB, University of British Columbia (1987)
- British Columbia (1988)
* Practicing through a Personal Law Corporation.
David Allman practices business law. His areas of focus include commercial real estate, natural resources (mining) and general corporate commercial law. David acts for clients who are active in these industry areas, and provides them with a broad range of legal advice.
David’s mining law practice involves regularly advising senior, mid-tier and junior mining clients on domestic and international mineral resource property transactions, including option agreements, joint venture agreements, royalty agreements, strategic alliance agreements and confidentiality agreements, as well as advising on a range of corporate, commercial and securities matters. He has been involved in transactions involving mineral projects in Canada, Latin America, Africa and Eurasia. David’s diverse commercial real estate practice includes advising and representing clients on the purchase and sale of industrial, retail and multi-unit residential properties, commercial leasing on behalf of both landlords and tenants and property development.
David is a former managing partner of EKB. Prior to becoming a lawyer, he worked in the commercial real estate industry and as a lifeguard.
- Advising senior international mining companies and junior and mid-tier mining companies regarding mineral resource property transactions in Canada, Latin America, Africa and Eurasia
- Acting for both private and junior listed mineral exploration companies with respect to all corporate and commercial and mineral exploration aspects of their businesses
- Purchase and sale of numerous commercial real estate properties, including retail, multi-family residential, and industrial properties
- Regularly advising landlords and tenants regarding commercial lease transactions
- Advising a number of partnerships in negotiating and settling terms of departure of partners
- Advising on acquisition and disposition of businesses and professional practices
- Member, Program Committee, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation 2014 Mining Law Short Course
- International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers Mining since 2011
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business since 2013: Projects: Mining: Leading Canadian Firms – Latin America Wide
- Who’s Who Legal: Canada: Canada’s Leading Business Lawyers since 2012 (Mining)
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada for work in Mining Law since 2014
- Member of the Business Law and Real Property Law Sections of the Canadian Bar Association (BC Branch)
- British Columbia’s Land Owner Transparency Act – What You Need to Know
- UPDATE: CECRA Extended Through September 2020
- Government Announces Commercial Rent Assistance for Small and Medium Sized Businesses
- COVID-19 and Commercial Agreements: Can You Terminate or Renegotiate Your Agreement Because of the Pandemic?
- Keeping Your Options Open: Illidge v. Sona Resources Corporation
- New BC Cannabis Legislation and Consequential Amendments to the Residential Tenancy Act
- Royalty Companies’ Effect on Royalty Agreements and Other Recent Trends
- No Crane, No Gain? Recent Changes in the Law of Airspace Rights May Bring Benefit for Developers
- BC to add 15% Property Transfer Tax on Foreign Buyers of Residential Properties in Metro Vancouver
- “Easier Signed Than Done – Execution, Authentication and Recording of Documents in Common Law and Civil Law Jurisdictions”, for the 52nd Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Annual Institute (2006), Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Presented and co-authored “Easier Signed Than Done – Execution, Authentication and Recording of Documents in Common Law and Civil Law Jurisdictions”, for the 52nd Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Annual Institution (2006), Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Co-chair, Canadian Program of the 53rd Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Annual Institute (2007), Vancouver, British Columbia
- Co-chair, Cambridge Investment Forums Mining Law and Finance Conference held in Toronto, Ontario and Vancouver, British Columbia, 2008, 2009 and 2010
- Presented at the 2nd Annual Federated Press Mining Agreements Course in April 2014, on “Option Agreements and Strategic Alliance Agreements”
- Guest speaker on commercial and corporate law matters for numerous professional groups, and author of several papers on company and banking law for the Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia
- Co-presented and co-authored “Royalty Companies Effect on Royalty Agreements and other Recent Trends” for the Mining Law 2017 Course, Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia
- Panel Chair, “The Selling of Mineral Royalties and Insolvency”, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation International Mining and Oil and Gas Law, Development and Investment, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (2019)
- Former board member of a community association and a social service agency