- Represents privately owned companies in all aspects of their businesses including financing arrangements, shareholder agreements, corporate reorganizations, technology licensing agreements and purchase and sale of assets and land
- Represents companies listed on the TSX and TSX Venture Exchange in private placement, securities regulatory compliance and continuous disclosure matters
- Represents mining companies with respect to mineral resource property transactions in Canada, Latin America and Africa
- Represents landlords and tenants in negotiating and settling leases for office, retail and industrial properties
Kelly Samuels has a general business law practice, providing advice as corporate counsel to clients on a wide range of transactional and day-to-day business activities.
She advises clients on the negotiation and drafting of a variety of commercial agreements, financing arrangements, corporate reorganizations, property leases, securities, employment and privacy-related issues and purchase and sale transactions.
In particular, Kelly advises credit unions in all aspects of their businesses, including regulatory compliance and privacy matters. She has a special interest in the evolving Fintech sector in Canada and the potential applications of decentralized blockchain technology.
As well, she has experience advising mining and exploration companies on all aspects of domestic and international resource property transactions, including option and earn-in agreements, joint venture agreements, royalty agreements and confidentiality agreements.
Kelly has been with EKB since 2004, when she first started as a summer articled student at the firm. Prior to becoming a lawyer, Kelly obtained a Bachelor of Science (Honours Program) in geological sciences and worked in the mining industry in both geological and corporate communication capacities.
* Practicing through a Professional Law Corporation
- Certificate – “Blockchain Law, Regulation and Policy”, University of Nicosia and the Institute for the Future (2019)
- Certificate – “The Osgoode Certificate in Blockchains, Smart Contracts and the Law”, Osgoode Hall Law School (2019)
- Bachelor of Science (Honours Program) (Geological Sciences), University of British Columbia (1998)
- LLB, University of British Columbia (2005)
- British Columbia (2006)
Federal Court of Appeal Recognizes Constitutionality of CASL
Guidance on Use of Electronic Signatures
Fintech Comparative Guide: Canada
COVID-19 and Privacy: Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Information During a Pandemic
The New Financial Services Authority Act’s Impact on Credit Unions
Firm News About Kelly
EKB Lawyers Attend Globalaw Americas Regional Meeting 2019
EKB Lawyers Attend Globalaw Annual Members Meeting in Dallas
B.C. Securities Commission Crackdown on Unregistered Securities Offerings: Kelly Samuels Interviewed by Vancouver Sun
Kelly Samuels to Discuss Blockchain Revolution with BIV
EKB Partner Kelly Samuels to Present on Fintech at CBA West 2017 Conference
EKB Partner, Kelly Samuels, to speak at the Mexi-Can Forum on September 7, 2017
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Vancouver Bar Association
- Chair, Canadian Bar Association BC Branch Freedom of Information & Privacy Law Section, CBA BC Branch, 2020- present
- Co-Chair, Canadian Bar Association BC Branch Freedom of Information & Privacy Law Section, CBA BC Branch, 2019-2020
- British Columbia Representative, Canadian Bar Association National Privacy and Access Law Section, 2017- present
- Program Coordinator, Canadian Bar Association BC Branch Freedom of Information & Privacy Law Section, CBA BC Branch, 2017- 2019
- Panelist, Business Excellence Series: The Next Big Things in Banking & Finance, Business in Vancouver, April 2019
- Panelist, Bitcoin and Beyond – The Impact of Blockchain and Distributed Ledger Technologies on Business and the Law, Globalaw Annual Members Meeting, Dallas, October 2018
- Panelist, Business Excellence Series: The Blockchain Revolution, Business in Vancouver, April 2018
- Panelist, Business Excellence Series: Understanding Blockchain, Business in Vancouver, January 2018
- Speaker, The Future is Now – FinTech – Bitcoin, Block Chain and Other Virtual Currencies, CBA West 2017, Las Vegas, November 2017
- Panelist, Business Excellence Series: Fintech, Business in Vancouver, September 2017
- Panelist, Moving Forward, Innovation, Technology & Education, Mexi-Can Forum 2017: Nafta Without Walls, Vancouver, September 2017
- Director, Firehall Arts Centre, 2012 – 2017